A group of anonymous university students called Strategic Meme Group, Incorporated has started selling Donald Trump’s Tweets as non-fungible tokens (NFTs) on a special platform called Strategic Meme Group, NFTs. “Drumpfs. ”
“Hate Trump? Buy his “drumstick” and own part of the story! If all the profits go to charities he despises, you can hurt him where it matters, ”the website says.
We live! 🔥🔥🔥
Visit us at https://t.co/nq4EkA3NZs
– Drumpfs (@officialdrumpfs) April 16, 2021
What is really being sold?
Obviously, these aren’t even “real” tweets, as was the case with Jack Dorsey sold one of his for nearly $ 3 million, as Trump’s Twitter account was suspended in early January following the riot in the U.S. Capitol. Instead, the group decided on the next best thing – a website called Trump Twitter Archive that carefully preserved the line of thought of the former US president.
A total of 46,694 NFT tweets from Trump – “Drumpfs” – are currently for sale, 100 of which have been handpicked by the organizers as “Infamous Drumpfs”. For a regular version, users will need to cough up 0.0232 Ethereum (ETH) – or roughly $ 55.45 at current prices. “Notorious” NFTs are a bit more expensive – the organizers charge 4.5 ETH ($ 10,700).
For a good cause?
Each NFT is represented as a 3D cube with a Trump tweet on two sides and an image on two other sides. The two remaining sides are branded with the “Drumpfs” platform.
According to the website’s FAQ, 97% of all profits go to several charities that Trump allegedly “despised”, namely Americares, the Clean Air Task Force, the ACLU, the Southern Poverty Law Center, MSF and NAACP. The remaining 3% “Strategic Meme Group, Incorporated” remain “for expenses” according to the FAQ.
There is currently no way to resell “Drumpfs” on the website. However, the developers stated that buyers “can easily auction it to a large number of potential buyers on OpenSea”.
Meanwhile, the legality of “Drumpfs” is questionable at best. Since the platform uses a public archive of Trump’s tweets, it clearly has no legal rights over them (nor over the real tweets either). In addition, an astonishing number of different works of art associated with “drumfs” certainly also have their authors, who apparently had no say in the use of their intellectual property here.
Just when you taught the NFT mania couldn’t get any crazier.
Get one Edge on the cryptoasset market
Access more crypto insights and contexts in every article as a paid member of CryptoSlate Edge.
Sign up now for $ 19 / month. Discover all the advantages
Do you like what you see? Subscribe to updates.